Saturday, March 23, 2013

Psionic: Wild-Born (Book 1)




A supernatural adventure with giant hurdles to overcome, Adrian (the young main character) faces many emotions while trying to save his own way of life. This novel was very well written and was hard to put down. A FOUR STAR read for readers seeking an adventure through a world saturated with hidden supernaturals.

Adrian Howell is a 12 year old boy when his world is flipped upside down. He is captured and he loses his sister, after he witnesses the murder of his parents. His old games playing with his telekinesis are no longer games, and he is forced to grow up quickly in order to survive. He manages to escape his captor, but his life does not get easier for him afterwards. He is faced with challenge after challenge, overcoming each and everyone of them. While the book does not end with a hook, it is obvious that there is more to Adrian's story, some rocks left unturned and some adventures left unadventured.

I found that the main character was a little bit too young for me. I would have liked him to be slightly older, even 15 or 16 would have helped. As a reader, and a mother, it was hard reading an adventurous story about a parent-less 12-13 year old. I also felt that some of the less exciting parts in the novel, when Adrian gets comfortable or is waiting, lasted too long. I like action packed novels with something exciting within each chapter. I didn't mind too much, however, because the story being in Adrian's head allowed those moments for more emotions to be played in his head (guilt, worth, etc).

Overall, the novel was a great read. A few small issues that irked me slightly, but in the end I was unable to put the book down and I raced to the finish line. Finishing the book I was very satisfied with how it all went down and I look forward to reading the next book in this series. Great work Howell (I mean the author here, are you a telekinesis too? haha).

1 comment:

  1. From the cover I guessed the characters were young and I can see why you might have reservations about this. It will allow for good progression though if the characters age in the next book. I suppose I'm thinking along the lines of the Harry Potter books, the aging of the characters lead to great character development and more in depth, suspenseful situations.
    Sounds like a good storyline!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...